Following his graduation magna cum laude from Queens College, where he was its first state finalist for a Rhodes Scholarship and its Scholar Athlete, and his graduation cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center, Mr. Ress was an associate for three years at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius handling commercial and other civil litigation. Mr. Ress then associated with Kittredge, Kaufman & Donley, in which he became a partner in 1985. In 1989, Mr. Ress became a founding shareholder of KCR and has continued his practice in the area of commercial litigation, personal injury litigation and in a variety of other related litigation matters. Mr. Ress has been selected continuously for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America for 2007 to 2014 in the field of commercial litigation, as well as for 2015 through 2019 in the fields of bet-the-company litigation and commercial litigation, and has been repeatedly recognized as a Pennsylvania “Super Lawyer” in Philadelphia Magazine. For 2007, Mr. Ress was recognized as one of the Top 100 Super Lawyers in Pennsylvania, and for 2013, Mr. Ress was recognized as one of the Top 100 Super Lawyers in Philadelphia.
Pennsylvania Commerce Court and Delaware Chancery Court litigation involving valuation of companies and/or dissenters' rights, including almost $6 million judgment entered in Delaware Chancery Court for twice the squeeze-out appraisal value offered
Numerous representations of Partners, Shareholders or Members in professional business divorce/freeze-out matters
National coordinating counsel for a beryllium manufacturer in defense of toxic tort individual and class action litigation
Representation of self-insured public companies defending premises and products liability actions
Claims for injunctive relief in non-competition and trade secret matters
Representation of insureds against carriers for an advertising injury; for coverage and bad faith claims on D&O policy; and for over-reserving and/or mishandling claims files on workers compensation policies with retrospectively rated premiums, establishing law on the burden of proof in such cases
Defense of $ 5 billion claim against public company for its alleged theft of the idea to build a trash-to-steam plant seeking disgorgement of its operating profits and arbitrage from the related bond issues
Civil RICO action for public company involving kickback scheme from product suppliers to company's purchasing agents
Fraud case against internet company and its owner for purchasing computer consulting services with checks they knew would be dishonored -- judgment thereafter not avoided in bankruptcy
ERISA litigation with issues ranging from the propriety of the denial of benefits by health plans to QDROs (qualified domestic relations orders)
Personal injury and wrongful death representations of family of brain injured plaintiff who committed suicide after being permitted to self-medicate; of motorist suffering from vertebral artery dissection injury; of estates of decedents killed in single car accidents
Medical malpractice plaintiffs' verdicts in cases involving improper treatment of patient as being HIV-positive and improper catheterization during post-bladder cancer treatment
- Queens College, B.A. 1976, magna cum laude
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D. 1979, cum laude
- New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
Activities and Honors
- Hearing Officer for the Pennsylvania Disciplinary Board from 2002 to 2008.
- Federal Arbitrator for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Judge Pro Tem in the Dispute Resolution Center of the Philadelphia County Court of Common Pleas.
- By Order of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, effective May 1, 2017, Mr. Ress commenced a three-year term appointment to the Continuing Legal Education Board. It is the responsibility of the 10-member CLE Board to administer the rules pertaining to the continuing education of Pennsylvania’s 65,000 lawyers; the mission being to assure that attorneys continue their education and maintain the requisite knowledge and skill necessary to fulfill their professional responsibilities.
- Mr. Ress has authored articles in his field, including a co-authored article: Tax-Affecting and Beyond: Dela. Radiology Experts Discuss ‘Landmark’ Case, Business Valuation Update, Vol. 13, No. 5, May 2007.
- Mr. Ress is also a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, a Trial Lawyer Honorary Society, a contributing author to its e-journal: Thoughts From a Road Trip: Exploring What it Takes for Someone to be Truly Great in His or Her Profession, 4 Litigation Commentary & Rev. 29 (January/February 2011), and a member of its Complex Commercial Litigation Institute.
- Member of the American, Pennsylvania and Philadelphia Bar Associations and various trial lawyers’ associations.
- Board of Directors of Temple Beth Hillel-Beth El, Wynnewood, Pennsylvania, and served from 1993 to 2008 and again from 2014 to the present as a Trustee of its Endowment Fund.
- In 2012, Mr. Ress was inducted as one of nine inaugural Members of the Queens College Athletics Hall of Fame.